I have a list of life lessons I want to fire off at you. Something you can reference from time to time. Things I’ve learned from your grandpa, great grandpa, and great uncles. Even if they didn’t say these things exactly, they’re things I’ve observed and learned from them. (and a few notes of my own) My examples of how to be a better man from the influences in my life. Hopefully it won’t take you as long as it did your dear ol dad to get it together.
1. Never hit anyone unless they are an immediate threat.
2. Every hat should serve a purpose.
3. Never take her to the movies on the first date.
4. Learn to wet shave.
5. Nothing looks better than a well-tailored suit.
6. Shave with the grain on the first go-around.
7. Always look a person in the eye when you talk to them.
8. Buy a plunger before you need a plunger.
9. Exercise makes you happy. Run, lift, and play sports.
10. Brush your teeth before you put on your tie.
11. A small amount of your paycheck should go directly to your savings account every month.
12. Call your parents every week.
13. Never wear a clip-on tie.
14. Give a firm handshake.
15. Compliment a love interest on their clothing choice.
16. Never leave a drink unfinished.
17. If you aren’t confident, fake it. It will come.
18. You can tell the size of a man by the size of things that bother him.
19. Be conscious of your body language.
20. The only reason to ever point a gun at someone is if you intend to shoot them.
21. Always stand to shake someone’s hand.
22. Never lend anything you can’t afford to lose.
23. Ask more than you answer. Everybody likes to talk about themselves.
24. Keep a change of clothes at the office.
25. Buy high quality tools, so you only have to buy them once.
26. Manliness is not only being able to take care of yourself, but others as well.
27. Go with the decision that will make for a good story.
28. When you walk, look straight ahead, not at your feet.
29. Nice guys don’t finish last. Boring guys do.
30. Find your passion and figure out how to get paid for it.
31. Don’t let the little head do the thinking for the big head.
32. No matter their job or status in life, everyone deserves your respect.
33. The most important thing you can learn is personal responsibility. Bad things happen, it’s your job to overcome them.
34. The first one to get angry loses.
35. Do what needs to be done without complaining. It won’t help speed things up.
36. Never stop learning.
37. Always go out into public dressed like you’re about to meet the love of your life.
38. Don’t change yourself just to make someone happy, unless that someone is you.
39. If you’re the smartest person in the room, you’re in the wrong room.
40. Luck favors the prepared.
41. Everyone finds confidence attractive.
42. Do whatever you want to do in the life, but be the best at it.
43. No one is on their deathbed wishing they spent more time at work. Enjoy your life.